From Serial Experiments Lain wiki
It has several unique features, such as:
- All traffic is encrypted via SSL to prevent eavesdropping.
- The code is completely open source and it's encouraged that users create their own instances of it to create a decentralized community.
- The site has an ongoing effort to protect the anonymity of its users.
- It has a REST API which allows anonymous reading, and with an API key, posting to the site.
- 512 character limit as opposed to the original site.
- Image support is planned, along with the possibility of audio. There is, however, no ETA on when these features will be complete.
- Actively monitors for and censors abusive/illegal content.
In the interest of preserving anonymity, the site takes the following precautions:
- All webserver logs disabled completely.
- User IPs are hashed immediately as SHA512 and the plaintext representation of the IP address is discarded. The hashed IP is stored only for banning purposes. This is vulnerable to comparing the hash against a set of all hashed IPv4 addresses, if an alternative to this system is not found, the site will disable banning in the interest of user anonymity, thus no IP logs in any form at all will be kept.