Concerning the last section of the article, it should be noted that the Wikipedia page on John C. Lilly currently makes no mention of ECCO; also, that Project Xanadu is not a conspiracy theory. (I don't think ECCO is really a conspiracy theory either.)
The only reason they mentioned Project Xanadu was because of some flimsy relationship it has with Nazca lines, which people have suspected of being an alien landing site. In fact, the whole point of all that trivia in Layer 09 was not necessarily to introduce conspiracy theories, but to relate the history of the Wired to the paranormal. They meant to imply that the world's neural network has extraterrestrial origins, that it was created due to the influence of aliens. It's a point that seems to be largely ignored by Lain fandom. Think about the LGM, the MIBs; it's all about the extraterrestrials. The Wired, Protocol 7, and Lain were all created because of aliens- either as a means of communicating with them, or by the aliens themselves in order to serve their purposes. Probably. new pic post!!! 06:38, 25 January 2014 (UTC)
(oops, there appears to have been no mention of nazca lines. how did that thought get in my head?)--volatile memory 01:43, 12 April 2014 (UTC)
Here is the progression of the narrated portions of Layer 09 for reference
- description of the Roswell Incident
- description of MJ-12, a secret organization formed to negotiate with aliens, beginning with jaime shandera (tv producer who received the tip-off) and ending with Vannevar Bush (head of MIT's dep. of electrical egr)
- Bush's Memex system
- experiments of John C. Lilly. (Lilly was all about communicating with other intelligent species, whether it be dolphins or aliens. He wanted to end mankind's loneliness in the universe)
- Theodore Nelson, a student of aforementioned Bush and Lilly, who proposed a satellite database called Xanadu, which would be facilitated by hypertext.
- narrator talks about the Schumann Resonance's unknown affect on the human mind, and Douglas Rushkoff's idea that the consciousness of the Earth could be awakened if all human beings were to be networked. People are modeled as neurons and the connections between them as synapses.
- Narrator talks about Masami Eiri's development of the theory of the worldwide neural network, conceiving of a system by which devices and cables would become unnecessary, coding the Resonance Factor into Wired Protocol 7, getting fired, committing suicide.
--volatile memory 01:43, 12 April 2014 (UTC)